Contractor Q&D Construction was selected as contractor for the approximately $35-million, two-year project to repave and improve the mountainous highways which were last fully reconstructed nearly 14 years ago. As many as 10,000 drivers travel the highways every day. The following project improvements will be made:
- Four inches of roadway asphalt will be removed and replaced from Nevada/California border to Ponderosa Ranch Road in southern Incline Village.
- Select roadway cross slopes will be reconstructed for enhanced roadway alignment and drainage.
- Drainage and guardrail improvements will enhance roadside safety and water quality, ensuring additional stormwater treatment before reaching Lake Tahoe.
- Enhanced sidewalks, sidewalk ramps, and driveway accesses will provide additional connectivity, accessibility, and safety.
- An aging timber retaining wall on State Route 28 near Memorial Point lookout will be reinforced with a soil nail wall. Anchor bars and “shotcrete” concrete will create the soil nail wall to help reinforce against age-related settlement.
- Drainage improvements will be made where Marlette Creek crosses underneath SR 28, enhancing water quality and ensuring additional stormwater treatment before reaching Lake Tahoe
- Three inches of roadway asphalt will be removed and replaced.
- Select aging roadside concrete barrier rail will be upgraded on multiple segments of the corridor.
- Select roadway shoulders will be reconstructed and flattened.